Why hello there. It’s good to see you.
This is the first RPG news roundup of November, and that means the poll to pick an indie RPG publisher for December is open. You have to be a patron of the site to vote, but anyone can read the resulting feature. There’s a winner for November to announce as well, I’ve reached out to them with the news and the offer to take part, and so we’ll just have to see where we get too.
We don’t usually repeat Kickstarter news in Routinely Itemised columns, skipping over the campaigns that have been covered individually during the week and including a summary of other noteworthy campaigns towards the end of the article. The story of Dispel Dice will be an exception.
What happened to Dispel Dice that makes them so unique? Just another Kickstarter for handmade dice? Yes. We’ve seen these every week, surely? Maybe… but not quite like Dispel Dice. The magic of internet lighted on Dispel Dice and in the first 24 hours of the campaign this Kickstarter set of dice raised more than $1,500,000 in pledges. Hundreds of gamers backed close to $1,000 each to get multiple sets and exclusives.
A lifechanging Kickstarter experience, surely. Isn’t the gaming community great?
Now, on with the news!
RPG news from Geek Native
- It’s expensive, but it’s for charity. Wizards of the Coast are letting you buy an infernal script as a font for $10 a download.
- There’s 13 more (possible) pages of D&D as Wizards of the Coast expand their Unearthed Arcana playtesting.
- Paizo Publishing is playtesting for Pathfinder 2e as well. They’ve made four classes available to gamers.
- Do you have Amazon’s Prime Video? Good news if you do; that’s where you’ll find the first two seasons of Critical Role’s animated Legend of Vox Machina.
- Pinnacle Entertainment Group has moved into fiction publishing, issued new licenses and hired a new community manager.
- Fantasy Flight Games will publish Starships and Speeders for the Star Wars RPG early 20202. The book is a compilation of stats and rules published in three previous Star Wars books.
- Modiphius revealed the cover of the Vampire: the Masquerade 5e Fall of London. It will be the RPG’s first Chronicle book.
RPG news from around the web
- Cubicle 7 wrote about The One Ring RPG and the danger of The Shadow.
- WizKids have a new set of minis for Icons of the Realms: Volo’s & Mordenkainen’s Foes.
- Fantasy Flight Games has a sourcebook for Legend of the Five Rings called Path of Waves coming out.
- Fantasy Flight Games also let us look inside the forthcoming Genesys Expanded Player’s Guide.
- Over on EN World, Charles Dunwood interviewed Lawrence Whitaker of the Design Mechanism.
RPG ideas, tips and discoveries
- When will vampires overrun humanity? Science has given us the maths necessary to work this out and a handy calculator to do the heavy lifting. Spoiler: It depends on how scary your vampires are.
- Personalised dice trays from Etsy as a holiday season purchase? I was tempted.
- Over on Sly Flourish, Mike Shea wrote about kitbashing dungeons.
- DM Dave explained how to create a D&D monster for Fifth Edition in 15 minutes or less.
- RJD20 dove into Slaadi: Toads of Turmoil.
- Alphastream talked about how downtime can revolutionize your D&D games.
- Beth at D&D Duet wrote up Sidekicks Best Practices: Interventions vs PC Immersion.
- Mike Bourke at Campaign Mastery shared Giving PCs choice and having your plot, too.
You can see those Kickstarters and other crowdfunding campaigns that caught Geek Native’s attention over at Kickstarter watch. Here are some industry projects worth a mention;
- Rocket Pig Games’ Monster Miniatures: 3d Printable Support-Free Tabletop Minis is going great guns.
- Stede Lindgren is on Kickstarter for Quest an RPG pitched as a vastly versatile tabletop that’s incredibly fair and balanced.
- Zombie Apocalypse Audio plus free Cthulhu Audio from Darkraven Games Europe has reached goal already on Kickstarter.
- Joel Loughrin has Draconic Dice Crypt: 3D Printable Dice Box & Drink Holder that’s also hit target on Kickstarter.
- Mystery at Millwarren is a 5e adventure for 5th-level characters from Insane Angel Studios.
- Wannabe Games, supporting Kickstarter United, is running MoonPunk.
Gamerati News Update
Too busy to read? In just over 5 minutes Gamerati’s Marcelo Ferrari will walk you through the week that’s just gone.
What are your news highlights from the RPGscape this week?