Monte Cook Games have updated their Cypher System. None of the marketing text about the game uses the phrase “Cypher System 2nd edition”, but the page on Monte Cook’s webstore where you can buy a copy has the URL /cypher-system-rulebook-2.
The Cypher System is a multi-genre game. It’s known for Numenera and the recent free Carnival Row RPG setting.
At the heart of the system is the promise that GMs get to spend more time inventing exciting stories and characters and less time playing with numbers.
Tasks have a difficulty of 1-10, players then try and reduce that target number by applying resources, assets and skills. Then there’s a dice roll.
Characters start off by being with words and three-part sentences. For example, Nerdy Blog Writer who Bashes The Keyboard.
In the 448-page rulebook there are;
- Complete game rules
- Extra rules for nine different genres, including fantasy, modern, science-fiction, horror, superheroes, and post-apocalyptic
- Four character types, each customized to your setting
- 50 descriptors and over 90 foci, along with all the tools to create new foci
- Equipment and hundreds of cyphers and artifacts
- Nearly 60 creatures and NPCs
- GM advice
Hit us up with some intelligent observations in the comment box below.