The Karrakin Trade Baronies is a rules expansion and setting book for the mud and mech RPG Lancer.
In Lancer, an ecological collapse on Planet forced what was left of humanity to escape to space and suffer. Thousands of years later, there’s utopia again, but it’s threatened.
Characters are mech pilots, and the game has two modes of play; the tactical mech skirmishes and the parts about character development and dealing with stress.
Geek Native gave it the thumbs up in a review and now I and other Kickstarter backers at high enough tiers get The Karrakin Trade Baronies for free. The retail price is $18.
The supplement has a significant expansion to the character-play part of Lancer, the narrative bit. The Bond system is introduced, a tarot-like function that gives characters a unique ability.
There’s also a system for running factions so that these political, sometimes military groups, can interfere or assist characters.
For any scale – including planetary – random maps also get a generator system.
Mech fans will be pleased to know there are four more models;
- The SSC White Witch, is a resilient defender covered in a robust reactive shell of ferrofluid
- The SSC Emperor, bow-wielding support, a mech focused on granting overshield to its allies
- The RKF Orchis, a defender variant for the Black Witch, lord of the shield and ruthless justicar
- The RKF Calendula, a variant of the Minotaur, which is a mech that manipulates shadowy dimensions to banish its foes and shift around its allies
The supplement also details the colony project that survived the fall of Earth and became one of the most powerful states in the Union. The Baronies are impressive but dangerous places, full of splendour and social division, power, iron fists and back-stabbing.
- Lancer’s The Karrakin Trade Baronies
Comments on this article can be left in the box below.