Google+ is popular among gamers; console, PC and tabletop. In particular there is a healthy amount of tabletop RPG communities with everything from general RPG interest to specialist ones.
Looking for RPG communities to join on Google+? This post for International TableTop Day recommended 10 different ones.
A community that Geek Native recommends and co-moderates is Roleplaying Games. It’s not the largest of the RPG communities, but one of the top tier in terms of size and more importantly has a healthy group of intelligent, friendly gamers who share an interesting range of topics and discussions.
The moderators make sure to spend enough effort to keep the community nicely tended without it feeling draconian. Last month Geek Native posted 8 tips for promoting your Kickstarter on Google+ RPG Communities. That’s success helped inspire a similar effort for all the RPG bloggers who wish to use communities to share their posts, promote their blog and encourage comments.
After a discussion in the community and comments from RPG bloggers sharing posts and from those who didn’t like the way those posts were sometimes shared we were able to produce five recommendations.
- Don’t drive by post. Comment, +1 and share other people’s posts before sharing your link.
- Introduce your post with a summary that explains why the Community might be interested.
- Ask a question in the text introduction to your post. This is a great way to earn comments and clicks.
- Think about your thumbnail image. If the default thumbnail is good consider a picture post instead and linking to your blog post in the text field.
- Think carefully about sharing your post on many similar communities in a short period of time. Google may mark you as spam.
Moderator and artist Clash Bowley kindly transformed these tips into works of art. By presenting these tips on these RPG style “postcards” we’ll be able to re-share them on the Roleplaying Games without needing to sound like a broken record reciting rules.
Teleport over to the chat portal to learn how to unlock comment badges.