The Game Manufacturers Association has launched the Horizons Fellowship. It’s a six-month accelerator to look for newly established creators and retailers.
The project comes from GAMA’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee and aims to address the needs of traditionally underrepresented communities in the hobby.
Chair Mark Truman, Magpie Games, who chairs the committee, said;
The entire Diversity and Inclusion Committee is incredibly excited for the launch of the GAMA Horizons Fellowship. We began our work as volunteers hoping to build programs—alongside GAMA’s board and staff—that will begin to offer new opportunities for marginalized communities; the Horizons Fellowship is exactly the kind of program I hoped we would be able to put together, and I can’t wait to meet the fellows who are selected for the program. Special thanks to Kimelia Weather (Brilliant or BS) for her work leading the New Pathways team that pioneered this initiative, and Andrew Chesney (Chip Theory Games) and John Stacy (GAMA) for their amazing financial and logistical support. None of this is possible without our joint work together!”
- Monthly one-on-one coaching sessions with dedicated mentors and peer coaches to be scheduled at participants’ convenience, as well as virtual group workshops.
- 1-year complimentary membership in GAMA valued at $300
- A $1,000 grant for business or operational expenses.
- Free admission to GAMA Expo 2022 with a complimentary hotel stay.
- Complimentary exhibit hall space at GAMA Expo 2022 for publisher participants with access to hundreds of retailers from the US, Canada, and other countries.
- Complimentary retailer box following GAMA Expo 2022 for retailer participants.
- Reimbursement of up to $1,000 in travel-related expenses for GAMA Expo 2022 (i.e., airline/train tickets, mileage reimbursement, taxi/rideshare transfers, meals).
Geek Native would like to hear from you as well!
One Publisher and one Retailer gets
This money should be used to create, maintain and grow their business. Fellows must submit a statement to explain why they’re a good match for the money and what it’ll be used for to get this far.
The first wave of applications opens on the 26th and will run to the 13th of August. We’ll find out the successful applicants in September.
Meet the Geek Native community by starting a comment conversation in the section below.