Matt Colville is a gamer designer who’s worked on computer games like Evolve, the designer of the original Dune CCG and RPG, he worked on the Star Trek RPG, designed the Knights of the Dinner Table card game and even did the official comic for Critical Role. His Twitch Channel has over 20,000 followers.
His first ever Kickstarter is a week old and has about 12,000 backers. Strongholds & Followers is a book that brings stronghold rules to D&D 5e and the Kickstarter is also used to fund a studio to livestream his next campaign. He asked for US$50,000 and at the time of writing has raised just short of $980,000. The current king of Kickstarter RPGs is John Wick’s 7th Sea which finished at 11,483 backers and a huge $US1,316,813 raised. At the current pace the Strongholds & Streaming campaign will take the top place.
It’s a pledge of US$20 (about £14) to get a PDF of the book or US$30 for the Hardcover, the PDF and some stickers. US$55 gets you all the swag and when you go higher you start to get access to the miniatures they’ll be making for the project. Rich? You can go as high as pledging US$500.
In the pitch video they show off the ruby dragon they’ve designed but they’ll be making more. The full list is:
- A Topaz Dragon Wyrmling – A wee dragon! Great for an special animal companion.
- A Young Emerald Dragon – About as big as a horse.
- An Adult Amethyst Dragon – Big and impressive!
- An Adult Ruby Dragon (above) – Equally big! Master of mysticism!
- An Ancient Sapphire Dragon – Even bigger and fully crystalline in form.