What is Indie+? It is an online convention and hangout for gamers. It’s made possible by Google+ Events and Google’s rather awesome Hangouts (also part of Google+).
Hangouts, if you’re not familiar with them, are super easy to use video chats that support many people at once. They represent a virtual table as much as they do free calls. In some ways they’re similar to Skype but are integrated into the wider social glue of Google+.
Indie+ is a convention that gamers can attend without leaving their homes.
For 2012, Indie+ will run from the 29th of October to 4th of November but has a heavy schedule of pre and postcon events as well.
- Indie+ games let gamers play new or favourite games over the internet. There are currently over 20 games available across all days.
- Indie+ panels let gamers listen to and chat with respected names from the industry.
- Gamers are also welcome to create their own ad hoc hangouts to discuss the con, gamers and guests.
The online convention is expecting a number of pretty high profile guests. Okay, it’s not unheard of for guests to miss meat space conventions, I imagine the fail rate for an online one is higher, but even if half the guests of honour show face it will be a good crowd.
Expected through the virtual doors are;
- WolfGang Baur, the Kobold-in-Chief of Kobold Publishing.
- Adam Koebel, a founding member of Sage Kobold Productions, and who is helping with Dungeon World.
- Sage Latorra, co-designer of Dungeon World and designer of Powers for Good.
- Dale C. McCoy Jr, President of Jon Brazaer Enterprises.
- Mark Reed, co-founder of Heroic Journey Publishing and managing the Mecha Combiners campaign.
- Steve Russel, the CEO of Rite Publishing, and managing the Kaidan Campaign project.
- Jeremy Smith of Dead Scarred Press who is managing the Ultimate Psionics campaign, an enhancement for the Pathfinder RPG.
- Daniel Solis, creator for many games and projects including the record breaking Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple.
- Owen Stephens, the Pathfinder RPG development manager at Super Genius Games.
- Bill Webb, President and CEO of Frog God Games.