Free RPG Day is as it sounds – excellent – and a chance to get your paws on some free RPG loot. Created by the distribution company Impressions, the goal of Free RPG Day is to inspire roleplayers to pick up a new RPG and give it ago.
Persuading gamers to try new games is a great way to boost sales. Many gamers have all the books they need for their current tabletop adventures but a change of system may result in many people from the same group buying more books. That’s what the industry needs to keep going.
Free RPG Day is a global event (although, as you’d expect, it favours North America). You can use this interactive map to find a store in your area that might be taking part.
It’s worth taking note that these retailers aren’t giving away games that they’ve failed to sell normally. Sponsors have stepped forward with some significant give-aways. Each sponsor provides stores with a number of freebies (it’s not unlimited stock).
It’s expected that stores that take part in FRD will have;
- A Time of War: BattleTech RPG/Shadowrun Quickstart flipbook from Catalyst Game Labs
- Brass & Steel Quickstart from Pamean Games
- Castle & Crusades Adventure from Troll Lord Games
- Chocolate die from Dice Candies
- Conspiracy X Quickstart & Adventure from Eden Studios
- Cosmic Patrol RPG Quickstart from Catalyst Game Labs
- Dice Tower from Blue Panther
- Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG Quickstart & Adventure from Goodman Games
- Free dice from Q-Workshop
- Harn setting material with world map from Columbia Games
- NeoExodus Pathfinder Adventure from Louis Porter Jr. Design
- The D&D 4E adventure “Dead in the Eye” from Wizards of the Coast
- The Pathfinder adventure “Dawn of the Scarlet Sun” from Paizo
- The Pathfinder adventure “Shadowsfall: Temple of Orcus” from Jon Brazer Enterprises
- The Pathfinder adventure “Slavers of the Sunken Garden” from Gaming Paper
- Warhammer 40K Roleplay Only War Adventure, “Eleventh Hour” from Fantasy Flight Games
You can keep up with the action by following @FreeRPGDay on Twitter.
— Free RPG Day (@FreeRPGDay) June 13, 2012
If your local store or gaming group is taking part then feel free to leave a comment below to promote yourself. If you’re a publisher who’s chipping in at the last minute then, by all means, please shout in space below too!