In 2003 the Wyrdling Istril submitted 10 character creation tips.
A hot list of character generation tips geared towards those parties who want the excitement of combat mixed in with the drama of roleplaying. The goal here is to create a character that you enjoy playing while actually existing as part of a (fairly) cohesive group.
- Remember you are part of a roleplaying group. Be flexible, and stay open to feedback from others about your character.
- Avoid creating a character who’s convictions or other extreme characteristics will prevent them from being part of a group.
- But, give your character their own passions; try not to be overly conformative just to keep the peace.
- Try not to rely on “gimmicks” to set your character apart or make them special or unique. Just roleplay them well.
- Allow the group dynamic and the roleplaying itself to mold your character rather than predetermining all the intricacies of their persona.
- Take into account the setting in which your character will exist. What is your character’s place there?
- As much as possible, let the present drive your character’s actions, not their past. When the focus is on the now, campaigns are more dynamic and memorable.
- Incorporate something into your character that will allow them to contribute somehow to the group.
- Enjoy your character; you shouldn’t “settle” for something you don’t really want to play just because you think it would compliment the group.
- *Climbs up on Soapbox* A certain degree of conflict within a group is essential. (And really, really fun!) It provides a wonderful opportunity for character development, gives us a little bit of that spice called drama, and just makes things a bit more interesting. However. Internal conflict to the point where you are straining to find reasons for your character to stay with the group is almost always damaging to group cohesion, and can be taxing on the players’ fun. Remember, the right type of conflict can actually *increase* cohesion. The wrong type of conflict destroys it. *Climbs off soap box*