The core rules for the Fallout skirmish game are available on DriveThruRPG, and they’re free. Free, but just to say that again, the rules are for the Fallout Wasteland skirmish game using 32mm scale minis.
Want the Fallout tabletop roleplaying game? Keep looking, ignore the distracting Skirmish game (or grab those free rules while you can) and only stop once you get to the Fallout: Wasteland Warfare – RPG (Expansion Book).
Modiphius explains that the RPG…
… builds on the narrative wargame experience of the tabletop miniatures game
I suppose that’s why the RPG is called expansion.
I’m a roleplayer first and rarely dabble with miniature games. In my mind, the minis are an expansion of the skirmish game, but I guess that doesn’t reflect the commercial reality of the product line. All Modiphius are doing are being transparent about the fact the RPG is there as an accessory to the product they’re really focused on. I appreciate the openness, even if I don’t like the priorities.
Modiphius also say that the ‘expansion book’;
Can be played as a standalone product using free downloadable cards and a set of the Fallout Wasteland Warfare Dice sold separately.
The cards, I think, are part of the expansion PDF. Here’s what you get in the purchase;
- Copy of the rulebook
- Character cards from Fallout: Wasteland Warfare
- Weapon cards from Fallout: Wasteland Warfare
- Character Archetype cards
- Character Playmat
Together, those give you;
- Complete rules for tabletop roleplaying in the wasteland, based on the Fallout: Wasteland Warfare miniatures game.
- Full rules for character creation, archetypes and original player ideas alongside existing characters from the Fallout
- Packed with lots of full-colour photographic scenes of the Fallout: Wasteland Warfare range to inspire your adventures!
- Background on the locations and factions that players can encounter.
- 3 free adventures in a linked campaign or for use as one-shot missions to support GM’s
- Guidance for players to build their settlement as a base of operations
- Advice and tools to help GM’s create and run exciting new adventures in the Fallout
Are you playing the Fallout: Wasteland Warfare – RPG (Expansion Book) without using the skirmish game? Let us know if it’s working or whether you recommend getting both games to play one.