You might well have written Trapdoor Technologies off. They’ve had plenty of bumps and scrapes – a cancelled contract with Wizards of the Coast and then a failed Kickstarter. They’re a brave bunch, though, and have been busy working on their promised product.
iPhone users can download the Playbook (for RPD) for free from the AppStore today.
The app looks like a take on what they’d offered to do if their Kickstarter funded. I wonder where they’re getting the cash from but am happy they’re around. Next up would, ideally, be cost effective partnerships with other publishers.
The current release has 7 modules which you can read more about on their site. At a glance you’ve the;
- Home Module – the mode which synchronizes all the Playbook modules for the day’s RPG
- Character Module – Build your PC from inside the app or quickly generate NPCs
- Adventure Module – One for the GM; run your adventure, track encounters, share maps or even scribble notes. Players benefit from the logbook and map function too.
- Campaign Module – The helicopter view of the the RPG setting; major events, characters, etc
- Party Module – One for the players who can pass notes, swap info, etc
- Library Module – Your archive of notes or (and I hope a revenue source for Trapdoor) content from other publishers and indie creators
- Forge Module – This one is still in development but lets you begin the worldbuilding process from within the app itself.
Grab Playbook (for RPD) for free.