You’ll have heard about Squid Game, Parasite, Flower of Evil… perhaps all Korean movie and TV exports. From Japan? It’s anime, Bleach, Vinland Saga, Demon Slayer and Chainsaw Man that JustWatch have noticed.
These anime aren’t just on Netflix; I hope JustWatch will pick up the likes of Crunchyroll in their content.
JustWatch tracks the moment global interest boomed in TV and movies coming out from Korea, then Japan, down to Squid Game.
Why was Squid Game so popular?
I’ve some hypotheses;
- It was a well-made show. The production values were high, the acting was good, and the story was engaging.
- It was unique. The concept of a deadly game show was new and original, and it captured the imagination of viewers around the world.
- It was timely. The show’s themes of inequality and poverty resonated with viewers in a time of economic uncertainty.
- It was accessible. Netflix made the show available in over 190 countries, making it easy for people worldwide to watch.
- It was social. The show sparked much discussion and debate on social media, which helped drive its popularity.
Furthermore, the quality has improved, with films and shows on IMDb in 2023 averaging 0.55 higher ratings than in 2019. This trend is expected to continue into 2023, with hit shows like “Physical 100” airing regularly.
Share your views in the comment thread below.