The 159-page Adventurer’s Guide for VAST – No Port Called Home is a free download.
Citing Rice Boy, Mass Effect, Girl Genius and RPGs like Pathfinder, D&D and Legacy: Life Among the Ruins, VAST is a free, CC 4.0 sci-fi RPG.
The Rice Boy webcomic is important, as Evan Dahm of Rice Boy provides the art.
The game uses stats, skills, feats, classes and levels. In the game, “races” include;
- Various humans cultures
- Gigantic ship-builders the Jotunn,
- The clan-like Nix (with a healthy dose of bioessentialism in there as sci-fi is so prone too),
- Genetically enhanced Vest,
- Nomadic fae,
- Robo-paladins of a dead god in the Archon,
- Worker-drones found sentience in the Tsuku.
VAST uses a d20 system, players rolling the dice and adding their stat to see if they make the target number set by the difficulty level of the challenge.
The game often favours storytelling to mechanics and counting, though, explicitly pushing accounting and cash counting to the abstract. The whole system is mastered, thereabouts, by players within the first dozen pages. GMs will have to read more.
- Download VAST – No Port Called Home.
You're welcome to share observations about this article in the comments.